View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
You have a misunderstanding of what will work.

I disagree that they do not want materialism.

I also disagree that democracy can exist in an uneducated, deprived society. We must have them develop a middle class, desire materialism and thereafter desire and obtain education in addition to individualism. Only that can make them wean themselves from the tit of terroisim.
I didn't say democarcy, although my flip refernce to the founding fathers was misleading. I mean they must be weaned from their radicalism. they may come to be more materialistic as a result of their detachment from the most radical strains of thought, but they will not be first seduced by materialism. In fact, thinking this can happen strikes me as rather silly. Besides, how do you inseret a 'desire' for materialism without first injecting other cultural concepts that make it relevant to their lives and belif systems? If anything, I think you have your list above completyely backwards.

This is more than just a matter of having access to material possessions. [By the way, you say you disagree that they wanty materialism. I assume you mean that you disagreee that they want material possessions, as it is clear beyonf cavil that the radical islamic culture rejects thre values of amterialism] If it were, we would not see so many radical muslims in Germany, France and other European countries (or even in Indoneisa, for that matter). This is a war of cultures, of ideas. Economic progress may be important, but it is not the answer, or an exclusive first step.

You are right about one thing; I don't ahve the answers, but I certainly don't think seduction by Wal-Mart should be the focus.