View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #36
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
You are making things up that I didn't say just so you can dismiss them as "quaint." Let's be a bit more honest in this discussion please. I didn't ever say NORAD has a "central database that keeps track of every flight's flight plan." You did. There are mutliple agencies that track flights of planes. For those that divert from flight plans and pose a threat, I expect NORAD is notified (I don't know how this tranlsates into keeping a central database).

I also don't suggest scrambling fighters for every flight diversion. I do expect that planes flying over NYC at less than 500 feet trigger some alarms because they clearly pose a threat (intentional or otherwise).
Well then you tell me how it is you assume NORAD should know if a plane diverts from its flight plan without haviong all flight plans in some sort of database? WHat agancy should tell NORAD and how can they do it in a way that makes the notice meaningful? Short of a database it would be a symbolic but pointless exercise. You see, even small planes move pretty fast, so without no=fly zones over the enitre eastern seaboard and other urban areas, it is impossible to provide notive in a menaingful time frame.