View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Spare you what?

Fusnik

I never claimed that anything I had to say was "new, shocking, or previously never read by a large group of posters". I was simply trying to say that discussing these things (Book of Abraham, Polyandry, Kinderhook plates, different versions of the first vision story, Nephi vs. Moroni, Book of Mormon and DNA, unfulfilled prophecies, View of Hebrews, Emanuel Swedenborg, Mormonism and Masonry, etc., etc. etc.) might plant seeds that ultimately lead to problems with some people's testimonies.

Considering the reaction that I've gotten on both the issues that I've posted on previously, I would say I'm warranted in thinking that a fair # of people, even on this board, were largely unfamiliar with the topics.

I didn't mean to intonate that you were ignorant, or couldn't handle what I had say. I would say precisely the opposite is true. I believe you to be one of the better informed members of this forum. I just don't know how badly I want to rehash these things. It seems to bring out the worst in me, and others. I'm not a bitter, argumentative person by nature, and I don't like feeling that way.

I just want to weigh the benefit of discussing these things against the possible consequences.

Alkili,

There isn't a secular scholar in the world that would come to the conclusion that JS actually translated the Book of Abraham from ancient Papyri given the body of evidence that we now posess. I'm not going to say any more than this. When people refuse to look at sources besides FARMS, and fairboard, there's no point in further discussion (not saying that this is what you do...I don't know what you've read).