View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #43
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While I have no problem with some self-reassurance that we're doing the right thing in abstaining from these behaviors, anyone who uses that fact to browbeat someone else is not in harmony with the teachings of the gospel, or of the church leaders.

I remember being stunned years ago at Ricks College when some of my college buddies from Utah explained how some of their parents wouldn't let their children date non-members. In fact, one fine upstanding non-member kid was turned off to the church because of one parents' reaction to him asking their daughter to prom, or some other high school function.

That kind of behavior wouldn't have been possible where I grew up, and I think Hinckley, for one, has spoken out against it.
This is not really something for Indy and Tex to circle the wagons and defend and fight the liberals over. It's a pretty obvious observation of LDS culture.

Every LDS in this church can tell you we're expected to live to a higher standard. In a lot of areas we're successful. It's a natural consequence of that for many LDS to get a big head over it. This goes from the newest member all the way to the top. Maybe it's not a bad thing that we're expected to be better than others without the "true gospel". Christ asks a lot of his disciples. Maybe it's very natural to observe LDS being successful at this and take the next step to say we're better than others. But it does happen. And it does tend to piss other people off.

P.S. I would strongly counsel my kids not to date non-LDS.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote