View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
As I previously stated, I thought FF would be lame but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it for the following reasons:

- SLC isn't an NFL town so I've never really had a favorite NFL team (example: my current favorite team is the Dophins because of John Beck). Thus, FF made the NFL season much more interesting to me
- The stats/management side of it caters to my geek nature. I like to plan, analyze, scheme, etc. and FF offers plenty of opportunity for that. Of course, there are people that don't do much with their team after the draft
- Competing against the guys at work was fun. In that respect it doesn't matter whether it is FF, chair racing, magnet throwing, whatever - I'm going to try and compete against the guys at work. There's nothing better than coming in on Monday morning and gloating to your colleague whose butt you just kicked - especially after he ran smack all week long before the games.
- I enjoyed learning more about players/teams/coaches/strategy than I otherwise knew. I learned about "running back by committee" (bad if one of those RBs is on your FF team), which players are most injury-prone, the fact that after Peyton Manning there isn't much difference in the next 12 QBs in the league, etc. It brought the NFL more to life.

Anyway, that is why I enjoyed playing it. If you haven't played FF before you ought to play it this season.
By the way, we also played fantasy NBA basketball this year but it sucked. The day-to-day nature of the NBA made management a big hassle. Football's one-day-a-week timetable is just ideally suited to fantasy. I have no interest in ever playing NBA again.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote