View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #55
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't necessarily believe that God does select most of our leaders. I believe that God approves of our leaders after the remaining leaders contemplate and pray about a replacement for a leader who has passed away. For this reason, I believe that most of our leaders tend to come from a small inner circle of people, largely Utahns, almost universally American and white.

If this is true, then one has to ask if the current leaders are really pondering those outside of their inner circle for leadership positions. If it is not true, then it is just the way it is and God has a reason for it. I don't think the evidence suggests that God is actively selecting church leaders, though, other than perhaps a handful. In general, I think the evidence suggests that God lets people work things out on their own and then confirms that what they have chosen can work out and be acceptable (which doesn't imply that what they have chosen is the only way or even the best way).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Not to put myself out there as Sis. Humility, but it seems to me that it takes a certain level of arrogance for one to assume that they can evaluate the needs of church members, and subsequently conclude that there is a need for changes in church leadership better than God.

Have we no faith that God will provide the appropriate leaders for the times, or have we now gone so far as to no longer believe that God selects our leaders?
The idea that God selects our leaders appears to be a minority view around here.

Parenthetically, it is interesting that some constantly jump down my throat for daring to opine about what God thinks or how he operates, but they have no problem presuming to know what's best for the entire membership at large.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the Lord is so proactive in His affairs with the brethren that they don't even have to ask a question to receive an answer?
Translation: "Let me make a straw man out of your argument so I can knock it down."

Quote:
That no matter what, the brethren will be prompted to do what they are supposed to do or to do what is best for the church? Well, the presidents of the church would take issue with your argument, as would the scriptures.
Translation: "I just pinned my straw man for a 3-count."

Quote:
The leaders of the church are supposed to ponder an issue, resolve it in their minds, and then pray for confirmation. In fact, there is nothing in your story to suggest that this didn't occur in exactly that fashion. Building a temple in Germany is something that would have been on the minds of church leaders who were thinking globally (and nobody is suggesting that our church leaders don't attempt to think globally). It isn't the obvious global questions that we are concerned with here- it is the issues that are not obvious, even to a person who has lots of familiarity with a culture.

And your statement of "diversity for diversity's sake" is just a distraction from the actual discussion. You know that nobody is promoting "diversity for diversity's sake." In fact, many exceptional reasons have been given for the usefulness of diversity (and you have even offered some of your own). To then fall back on your trite line is disingenuous and shallow.
I think that's exactly what you're promoting.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote