Thread: Baseball talk
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think hardcore baseball fans are a different breed. They do have an arrogance about them, and feel like baseball is americas past time and should be held sacred. Hell, have you ever heard of a team cursed in football?

It is what lifted everyones spirits after Vietnam, and 9-11. We all grew up playing it whether in a vacant lot behind our house or in the street.

I am a huge baseball fan and I have to say that I dont think what Arod did was bush league because he just yelled AHHHHHHHHH! and thats not how you call for the ball, however it was borderline.

On a side note my favorite bit of irony in baseball history: Calling out Babe Ruth. — Pedro Martinez did this on May 31, 2001, saying, "I don't believe in curses. Wake up the damn Bambino. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." Martinez failed to win a game the rest of the year, and the Sox lost their final seven games to the Yankees in a season in which they failed to make the playoffs. The Sox also lost both games Pedro started against the Yanks in the 2003 ALCS.
Don't forget the still ongoing curse of the billy goat. The Cubs will most likely suffer that for many, many more years.

And yes, we hardcore baseball fans are arrogant. As mpfunk so eloquently put it:

"There are two kinds baseball haters - those who don't understand it and those who are incapable of understanding it."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote