View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Reason they went into Overtime instead of winning is Odom.

Reason they lost in overtime is Bryant.

From the Daily Dime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daily Dime
Up to the end of regulation -- in other words, until Odom's fateful errors -- Kobe was playing at an unbelievable level. He had scored 46 points, including 12 in the last 5:43, and had made all 13 of his free throws, giving him a Lakers-record 48 straight FTs made.

But playing under the influence of the frustration of seeing the Lakers' lead slip away, Bryant seemed to find a new gear: call it Gatling Gun mode, because while the Kings were taking the lead, he quickly fired up three extremely difficult shots -- including two long 3s -- that had little chance of going in.

His body language said, we're winning or losing this game on my terms, like it or not. He took six of the Lakers' first seven shots in OT, making only two. Basically, he shot the Lakers right out of the game.
And that's a major reason I dislike Kobe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ilydime-060120

Johnny you carefully omitted the part from that article with the Kobe/Jordan comparison.

Also, why hate a player who has the gusto to take a team on his back? Doesn't make much sense to me. The kid had just scored, as your reference pointed out, 12 points in the last 6 minutes of the 4th. He doesn't even touch the ball on the last 2 Laker possessions. Of course he's going to control the shots in OT. And the Kings jumped out to a quick 5 point lead in OT. Kobe had to shoot to give his team a chance. At this point Mihm and Odom had fouled out so who the hell else is Kobe supposed to defer to.

The bottom line is Odom made two huge mistakes. He drives the lane with 15 seconds left on the shot clock when the Kings were resigned to losing and weren't going to foul and picks up a charging foul. Running out the clock is so elementary. Then he doesn't give Kobe the final shot and instead hucks up a poor 3 pointer.

The best part about the recaps of the Kings/Lakers game were the comments and praise of Francisco Garcia's defense on Kobe. Kobe dropped 51 on the kid. How's that good defense? One reporter remarked that Francisco kept Kobe to a huge night instead of a historic night. Truly laughable.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote