View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 AM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think Dana is still trying to keep the two leagues different and will instead try to set up super fights between the two like at the big New Year's fight, etc. I am not sure I agree with this approach. It'd be nice to see some old style tournaments to have guys content for title shots. I like the Liddell vs. Silva fight, but I don't think Silva is the same fighter he was either.

I don't think he can end boxing. It will always remain, but how significant it will be, I don't know. MMA though is riding more than just a wave and ESPN's coverage of the sport is indicative.
I love the Bushido events PRIDE puts on, the open weight, weight divisions, great, great events. Silva has been in some wars, and think he is at the tail end of his career. It will be interesting to see how he recovers from his recent knock out defeat.

I think MMA can render boxing insignificant. Have you seen the coverage UFC has received on the ESPN network shows, Sportscenter, specifically Rampage's interview? Great, great interview where he said that MMA is going to take over water polo and dirt bike racing.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote