View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Oprah has had a lot of great books on her list. What's the problem? People otherwise disinclined to read much are being exposed to great books. Is that a bad thing? This visceral reaction by men becasue Opra is a show followed by housewives is nonsense. So Oprah has the Midas touch; she can all by herself make a novelist rich. So what? If anything, great novelists don't get their due often enough, especially now all most people do is watch television. Do you know how many millions are made every day in our system by charlatans, as opposed to novelists who have this extraordinary, once in a million gift? McCarthy is a classic example. McCarthy spent most of his life in poverty while generating a body of work many people including the storied Harold Bloom believe is the greatest of any living American author.
It's not such a bad thing. My shots at her are sometimes TIC, but other times they are in earnest because so much of what she does is way too heavy on the Saccharin for my tastes.

There is also one other element: for some reason, I'm not sure why, I've always loved finding great underground or alternative bands, but I stop listening to them or buying their music once they’re popular. Maybe it’s because I feel I lose my personal connection with the artists or the art as they/it become mainstream and possibly more commercial.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote