View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I was about to jump in with a resounding "YES!" but after reading your further explanation, I realize that one needs to consider what will be taught. It's like sex ed - 95% of people agree it should be taught, but it's a matter of what the teacher sees as "correct sex ed."

You say he's Hispanic and since he's in Dallas, I might assume he's Mexican. If he's used to eating with tortillas at every most meals, he has a proper food item to "mop up" with. Just wait until you go with the banana over the tortilla and that'll throw you off.

I still will vote yes, but with a little more caution as to what you might be teaching him. Definitely go with the " clipping toe nails" at dinner (or any other meal) and other niceties, but make sure you aren't stepping all over cultural norms that you aren't familiar with. And it may come up that, "Well, if he's eating in US places...." but you can still make sure kids have proper bases and then build upon that.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote