View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I really don't have an opinion. He seems to have mismanaged the situation, but in politics, with a hostile press and a hostile "oversight" committee in charge, all is not always what it seems. Is what he did a fireable offense? I'm not persuaded that it is.

The second question is: is he worth the political capital spent? Here I'm not persuaded that it is, either. However, it's ultimately Bush's call, and since he's 3-1 in national elections, I'll defer to his judgment. As I've said before, there's something to be said for not throwing your men to the dogs every time they bark. If Bush fired every person who the Dems called "incompetent" or "a liar" the White House would be an empty place indeed.

Lastly, we all know this isn't about Gonzales. He's just the whipping boy for the great white whale: Karl Rove. Pat Leahy is as much an Ahab as anyone in Washington.

And doubly lastly, the public doesn't care about this anymore, anyway. He's off the front page, and I doubt we'll see him back there. Except for Cali Coug, who has something of a Gonzales obsession, it's a dying story.

Has there ever been a more boring "scandal" than this one?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote