View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Swearing can be a lot of fun. It isn't that a person can not think of other words that mean the same thing, it has nothing to do with a person's intelligence, and it has little to do with upbringing. Swearing is a harmless taboo. You get the kick from being 'bad' without really being BAD. And that makes it cathartic (as non sequitur points out) and fun. Still, I watch out who I swear around, because colorful language can hurt some people's feelings.

In my home I have taught my son all of the swear words and he is allowed to use them freely (he is six). Rather than teaching him that these words are bad, we emphasize that using them around others can hurt people's feelings. This way the emphasis is on personal character rather than taboo. We give him less material to rebel against when he is a teen, and kindness and generosity become the motivation for good behavior.

So far so good.
If nothing else, you at least avoid the wonderful moment of discovery when your Mom informs you in the most gentle manner possible that your new favorite word happens to be a swear word.

I can still taste the soap. Ugh.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote