View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #42
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm sorry. I don't mean to come off that way. I'll try to be more polite. (I changed my comment about chiros after you wrote this.) I don't think it's healthy to believe in possession. I think it's superstition. Probably in the past people believed to have been possessed were usually suffering from mental illness. That does strike me as the most likely scenario.
Good luck in your efforts to approach religious topics in a more sensitive manner.

I don't think believing in possession is necessarily unhealthy. I could see it being unhealthy if it leads one to automatically ascribe the erratic behavior of a loved one to possession instead of seeking to find the appropriate medical cause. In essence, calling the Priest instead of the doctor.

But you must know that this type of situation would be very rare in the LDS community. The well-advertised high rate of anti-depression medication usage in the state of Utah is strong evidence that the LDS do not shun medical solutions to mental health maladies. My understanding of LDS teachings is that medical remedies and spiritual remedies are not mutually exclusive.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote