Thread: 300
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 10:53 PM   #23
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Truly I don't think AA and I even disagree about the Old Testament or Herodotus. I'd be surprised if we really did. I'm just giving him a hard time because he asked if I'd read Herodotus. My point in response to him here was indeed that he didn't even seem to be disagreeing with me but the tone of his post was surprisingly unfriendly. In the Old Testament thread he clarified that he did not really regard those geneologies as history, but apparently he's still sore at me over that. Oh, we may still disagree about the Greeks' place in the history of the study of science. But now that he's officially a classisist I really very much doubt that we do.
What exactly did you think I was saying when I said "no offense intended"? That there was offense intended? If my tone was surprisingly unfriendly, I assure you that it was unintentional. Neither am I sore over your objection in the thread wherein the origins of the Arab people were discussed. I do find it somewhat irritating that then, as now, you manage to misconstrue the original point, attack the perceived inferiority of the poster, and refuse to admit that you misinterpreted what was originally written.

And yes, we do still disagree about the Greek's place in the history of the study of science. Quite simply, you overemphasize it. The Greeks are a fundamental, innovative, groundbreaking link in the chain. They continued the intellectual inheritances they received from their predecessors, just as the Romans did from the Greeks. As far as you're concerned, history as we know it begins with the Greeks. Much credit is to be given to Hellenic society, but not THAT much credit.