View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

When I was about three years old, my parents read the Joseph Smith story to me in that gray Book of Mormon reader book that used to be around. I was so excited to finally find out who this Joseph Smith guy was that everybody talked about and said was a prophet. When Joseph asked which church he should join, I remember thinking Wow, what a GREAT question to ask! The answer came back-- none of them. For whatever reason, that answer made perfect sense to my three year-old mind. I believed it wholeheartedly.

As a teenager, I heard somebody talk about the challenge in Moroni and I realized that I had never tested it myself. I had always believed the Book of Mormon to be true, but I had never asked. So I did. The answer that came back was an unmistakable "Why on earth are you asking this question? I don't need to tell you this. You already know that it's true." So I did.

Since then, the main test of the Book of Mormon has ever been one of application. If it is what it says it is, it should do what it says it will do. The book has always passed that test for me. As I have read it and followed its teachings, I have felt closer to God than by any other means. By this point, there's simply no reason for me to ask whether it is true or not-- only how I may better follow its teachings.