Thread: 300
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
One more comment (can't believe I forgot this). 300 is a not so subtle polemic against religion. In addition to freedom and liberty, it touts reason and condemns "mysticism" over and over again. All the Greek clerics are horribly disfigured, "in-bred," disloyal to the regime, greedy, supersticious, fraudsters, and lecherous. In several sequences the narrator and characters pit "mysticism" against "reason" (as if Sparta was ever a bastion of reason, as opposed to Athens, its eventual enemy).

The final scene has Leonidis laying amid his slain warriors bristling with arrows and in an obvious crucified Jesus pose. I didn't expect to laugh at the end of this movie, but laugh out loud I did. Very campy.

Oh, and one more thing. The movie also is a polemic against politicians who don't want to send troops to stop the Asian hordes from abridging liberties.

Don't take the movie too seriously and you might enjoy it as I did.
Like I said before-- if you want to depiction of the history of the battle of Thermopylae, you'll find it elsewhere. If you want a fantastic depiction of the legend of the battle of Thermopylae, you'll not find many better.

Besides, what historian can truly be said to tell the history, rather than the legend, before modern times? Not many. If the movie gives too much credit to the Spartans for safeguarding freedom from tyranny and reason over mysticism, oh well.