View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's hard for me to tell via the web if you two are being facetious or not, but I'm reading a little bit of exaggeration here. Obviously obtaining knowledge, especially gospel knowledge, is very important to "doing" and "becoming." It's the nature of the knowledge being obtained that's in dispute.

I could insert a wholly gratuitous joke about spiritual A.D.D. here, but I'll forbear. Oops, too late.

I suppose if you're finding church boring--any of church, not just EQ lessons--may I gently suggest there might be something you could do differently, rather than the church's curriculum be redesigned to fit your tastes?

Knowledge is wonderful to have, but again, it's the nature of the knowledge we're debating. Little of what you're advocating has much to do with salvation. I'd wager to say that a man can be saved without reading a single page of a FARMS publication, but he'd have a devil of a time getting there without reading a page of the scriptures. The manuals, supplements to the scriptures, are words of actual prophets--revelatory in nature, if not canonized. There's more than enough information there to keep you busy on your post-doctoral salvation efforts for quite some time.

That's not to say these other things can't be quite interesting and illuminating. Surely there is truth in many places outside the scriptures, even inspired truth. But it doesn't necessarily belong in an LDS theological classroom.

Put another way: "When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room ... but when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee" (Luke 14:8-10).
I don't believe you understand that scripture if you apply it to this discussion. We are not assuming a place of honor. I for one would be happy never to have another demanding calling again. We labor and discuss matters of import to us.

Church culture is not perfect and in the swing of things, some groups will be left out from time to time. Right now, the culture does not address adult singles very well, and intellectually, it doesn't do much to stimulate the learning of long time members. There's plenty of work, but after you've been through the cycle a few times, it's difficult to remain as enthused as you could the first cycle. The good thing about recycled positions is you can be more efficient. Apparently, you can't see where we're dropping the ball.