View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Yes, I fully agree with UD (and by extension, SteelBlue, and a lot of others here). This one is so simply accepted and such a no-brainer that I am quite taken aback by the opposition to even the suggestion that The Church and its leaders might have been wrong.
I can't speak for the others, but for me, it's not so much a question of whether or not they were "wrong" (the definition of which must now be called into question), but whether or not God had a hand in it. As a parallel, I'm quite taken aback by the opposition to the idea that God might have had something to do with it. Given God's long history with the world, it seems to be a quintessentially American 20th century notion.

Quote:
The problem with Mormons is that, for the most part, they still have so little real interaction with people of African decent that it is too easy to say, "Well, that's how God wanted it." and walk away. I'm sure that if that horizon was broadened significantly, most would come away saying, "Wow, we sure blew that one."
That may or may not be true, but I can tell you, I know plenty of black folks. This topic is not a frequent one for us, and even if it were, I would certainly not say "Well, that's how God wanted it," and walk away. What I've always said is, "I don't know."

It's the same approach I take with homosexuals (albeit a different response) when they ask the same questions. Just because we forbid them from being members (while engaging in such behavior) doesn't mean we answer them callously.

Quote:
I think it was Brian that asked after leaving this sphere which video of world history we would want to watch. For me it would be, should the detractors here be correct, a video showing the proceedings of the grand council in heaven where God opted for November 1978 as the before and after for so many of his children. I'm really interested in the discussion that led up to that one.
While you're at it, cue up the video of the Grand Council proceedings when it was decided that Saul should be commanded to massacre the Amalekites, "both man and woman, infant and suckling" (1 Sam 15).

Last edited by Tex; 05-10-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote