View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
How can Indy possibly know this? Indy, how do you know it's a "basic historical outline" of something? What's your reference? What "evidence" do you have outside of the very document you want to prove true? And you can't even show me a source for that document that existed before the late 1820's (apart from the large swaths of text cribbed from the KJV). There's no evidence of Hebrews or Jews in the Americas before Jewish imigrants came to America. You made "basic historical outline" up; pulled it out of your ass. If you tell me you got some supernatural "witness" it's true I won't argue with you. Tell me it's a "basic historical outline" of something and I laugh at you for your windbaggery. Give me one piece of evidence it's a "basic historical outline" of anything. Give me a single one. I know there were Egyptians and Hebrews, pyramids built by slaves, a Jewish temple in Jerusalem. How do I know a fact stated in the Book of Mormon to be true. A single one?

Go ahead and call me Korihor. But you're the one who made the outlandish, made up and wholly unsupported claim that it's a "basic hisorical outline" of something (what?).
Yet, as outlandish, made up, and wholly unsupported as the claim is, millions of people buy it, and among those millions, the majority of those who post here. Clearly, there's something that made them believe there is some truth to the book-- and remember, inertia is not a valid excuse in all cases, as many (including some of the present company) made great sacrifices in order to align themselves with the church, prompted by this "outlandish, made up, and wholly unsupported claim."

If you say that there is no sensible reason for anybody to believe as you do regarding the book of Mormon, I see only two reasons why. Either none of those who believe in the Book of Mormon are capable of reasonable thought and are wholly unable to discern truth from error (and I would love to see you crucify yourself on that gold cross), or there may be something you're not considering which others accept as valid and valuable evidence.

If the second scenario is true, why on Earth should we waste the time giving you our reasons for believing the Book of Mormon? You are acquainted with Mormonism; you know why we believe it is true. You've rejected those reasons as insufficient, as is your perogative. Why, then, do you insist that we try to prove it to you and win you back?

The fact that you consider yourself an enlightened thinker and nevertheless cannot understand how others can think differently than you do is a bitter irony, to say the least.