View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I were recently in Taos New Mexico. After visiting the pueblo there (which I highly recommend, btw) we were hungry and wanted a small snack (I for one, was dying for a diet vanilla Cherry Dr. Pepper) so we pulled into the parking lot of this large store, not quite a supermarket but pretty large. We walk in and there is this table out front promoting some political cause involving Tibet. Unusual I think. We go in and the entire store is organic. There is nothing that isn't organic. There are no sodas. No candy bars. No ice cream bars. No donuts. No cookies. No fruit pies. No chips (except for these blue unsalted things that looked like cardboard wafers and cost twice as much as doritos). Everybody there is either unkempt and under 30 years old or gray haired with ponytails. The 5 of us are wandering around, strangers in a strange land, looking for something good, which our fellow shoppers would probably consider poison, all the while being stared and glared at in every aisle. My youngest finally finds some chocolate milk (as opposed to chocol;ate soy milk and rice milk) and we take 5 of the 6 bottles they had. For food we were pretty much left to Clif Bars and the like, as nothing else had enough fat or sugar to sustain one of us, let alone all of us.

It was a truly hippie dippie experience.

We have Trader Joes around here, btw, and they are very middle class, no hippie taint whatsoever.