View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

Here's another thought: Should we not donate blood because nuclei from white cells could potentially be used to clone a human being? In principle, any adult cell has potential to become a human being when inserted into an egg in the lab.

The fertilized egg has no potential with a uterus. White blood cell has no potential to become a human being without inserting it into an egg. Orrin Hatch makes the argument that the 3-day old blastocyst does not have potential to become a human being without the help of a physician and implantation into the uterus. I sort of like that argument, even though I'm not an Orrin fan.

In the video, the major argument is that the blastocyst has potential to become a human being. That's true, if the blastocyst is properly implanted into a uterus--but it still requires that extra step to have true potential. But the blastocyst in the test tube is still one artificial step away from complete potential. So one step away from complete potential to become a human being is bad, but two steps away is OK? I guess it's just a question of where you draw the line.
he makes the argument that the embryo needs nothing more than you or your children need to survive. It needs food, and a hospitable environment.

Your newborn has no potential to survive without you.

Any reliance on Orrin Hatch for anything moral or intellectual is putting you on very thin ice, I have to say!

Folks, just watch the video. Some of you will come away skeptical of embryonic stem cells , some of you will be convinced it is the right thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote