View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Question on Larry H. Miller Decision

I read all the "attaboys" today on CB directed to Larry H. Miller for his courageous efforts to stand up to the "homos" by refusing to show the gay cowboy movie. I won't argue the hypocrisy angle again since it has been beaten to death. I will also agree that LHM has every right to do what he has done. And it is certainly not "censorship" based on the correct definition of the term. However, quite a few posters implied that it is unfair to criticize LHM's decision since it is based on "moral convictions" and he is a private business man.

Let me pose a hypothetical: suppose a movie came along that featured a love story between a black man and a white woman and LHM decided to pull the movie as a result. Let's suppose he brought up some old LDS GA quotes about the evils of mixing races (yes, there are plenty out there - I am guessing grapevine has some of them memorized), hence it is a moral/religous issue. Do you think it would be fair to criticize him then? In other words, regardless of which side you stand on in this debate, don't you think it is a bit absurd to claim he should not be open to criticism?

By the way, I was going to post this on CB but while I was composing it, the big thread on this topic got deleted. I am guessing that a moderator got a little uneasy with some of the more outrageous comments that were being posted.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote