View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #106
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
A prophets desire is to teach and encourage individuals to seek out higher authority for confirmation of thoughts, feelings and ideas. Such confirmation is the most effective innoculation.

What do each of us value -authority or freedom?
Intending no disrespect, I think this is where the analogy falls down. I don't think we are really arguing about freedom, I think we are discussing what all the innoculation should entail.

If you are saying that the brethren have already determined what it should entail and we know what it is because that is what is taught, then I agree. But I would also suggest, and the history of our church confirms this, that this concept is a moving target.

I think others have said before that in the internet age it may make sense to give members the answers to some of these apparent (though not actual) discrepancies in a setting of faith rather than leave them to struggle with them without any guidance. We do this already in some areas. We talk about the reasons that polygamy was once here and now is gone, for example. The manuals contain instruction on this.