View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
The cool computer I want to get doesn't measure cadence. I looked at another cateye that I liked and it didn't either. What should my cadence be at when I'm doing well..

I try to stay at 85-95 rpm on the flat. It saves wear and tear on the knees, makes it more likely you're using better pedaling form (pedaling 'round' instead of 'square', as the say) and leads to more endurance. On hills, for me at least, fuhgeddaboutit, but I try to keep it realtively high, where it especially helps the knees (go ahead and laugh at my fixation on helping my knees; trust me, you'll miss them when they're gone). Over time you will get to know pretty closely where your cadence is simply by looking at your speed and knowing what gear you're in. Over more time, you'll know just by how it feels. I have had computers with cadence function and I found it not very useful over time. The only computer I have with cadence now is on my triple which is a Shimano flgiht deck computer and the cadence is 'virtual' being calulated by the computer by comparing your speed to your gear. You can do that in your head easily enough.