View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I agree with some of what you say, especially that high levels of progressivity are not the most desirable, but I am not aware of a single politician in the U.S. that advocates a tax that does not have some progressivity in it.

Furthermore, Singapore and Hong Kong are special authoritarian cases that are city states. The ability of the government to stifle dissent and enforce certain guidelines may have as much to do with economic growth as does less regulation. So the real question is, how do you like your regulation? in Economics or civil liberties?
If I had to choose, which I don't want to, I'd rather have a free economy than liberties. And you don't understand Hong Kong and Singapore. I disagree that they are really totalitarian, but rather the Chinese culture accepts totalitarian authority more easily. Chinese and Japanese to an even greater extent culturally repress liberties.

Single rate income taxation has been a song of mine since the 80s when several Stanford economist opined that a single rate of 19 percent could produce more than sufficient revenues adjusting of course for individuals who would be exempt for any income taxation.