View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #22
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I think my perspective might help shed light on the subject. 5 years ago I asked myself the very same questions as Cali with the same zeal. I hold out great hope for the moment the first Black GA is called, yet I am more willing now to be patient.

It is important to note that I have worked with many non caucaision leaders of the church for many years now. I served as councilor in a bishopric where my Bishop was from Jamaica (a very close friend). At the same time a Bishop of another Ward in our Stake was originally from Africa.

I served in another bishopric where the Bishop was American, one councilor was from St. Vincent and the other from Mexico, at the same time the previous Jamacian Bishop was called to the Stake Presidency.

Currently the Toronto Stake President is Chinese (I believe born in China). One councilor is Caucaision Canadian the other the aforementioned Jamaican. In my Stake 40 minutes outside of Toronto our current Stake President was born in South America. One of his councilors was born in England, the other is caucaision Canadian.

There is great diversity in leadership in the church in my region. Caucaisions are in the minority in Toronto Wards. However it is still limited to a relatively small goegraphic area -you need only go 40 minutes in other directions into more afluent suburbs of Toronto and the entire Stake Presidency is caucaision.

Based upon my experience, the biggest stumbling block to a more diverse 70 is the general body of the church and local Stake leadership in afluent areas ... they are just not ready. Therefore, until they are the Lord will withhold just such a blessing.
We had a black GA.. Hevlecio Martins... He's was in Brazil

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 04-04-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote