View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #39
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.
I disagree with the great Pelagius here--might be the first time.

If you tweaked that 1.5% to include only active males and expanded it to include all men who have held in the past, now hold, or will hold in the future any of those callings, I imagine you're moving into a signficant number. The number for females will always be zero.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote