View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #33
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
What authority is that? We get to decide what to do for Sharing Time? We plan the ward potluck? We are help mates. We have the supporting role. I'm not complaining. That's just how it is.
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this was changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-02-2007 at 10:23 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote