View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me share.

I supervised pineapple pickers on Lanai one summer. The fields were infested with rats and on occasion someone would yell "RAT!" and the whole crew would leave the boom, using pineapples as missiles to nail the rat. Then everyone would gather round as we stuck the stunned or dead rat under the wheel of the truck with the upper torso showing in order to get the full effect of something that resembled popping a big zit. Good times.

Two years ago our neighbors had a rat problem that they probably brought with them in their furniture shipment (the building had no problem before). After several futile attempts to capture the vermin, they decided to go chemical. Unhappily, the rat decided to die in the space right above our bedroom. The stench was horrible and the maintenance people told us there was nothing they could do to locate the decaying rat (lazy French bastards). We opened the windows, closed off that side of our apartment, and hunkered down for a long winter. Rats take roughly 4-6 months to decay and desiccate. Not such good times.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote