View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I have often wondered if the mormon movement towards the right is too simplified in blaming ETB. If I am not mistaken didn't Utah lose a great deal of its mining industry and other historical blue collar unionized labor that had long supported the Democrat party in the 70's-80's? I also think that flat out most mormons are less appalled by right wing wackos than left wing wackos, and as has been pointed out fringe wackos in both parties has disproportionate influence.

I think there is a wing of mormons influenced by ETB that are the www.getusoutoftheUN.org wackjobs, but I don't think they really characterize the mormon culture fairly.
Both sets of my grandparents were dyed in the wool blue-collar democrats. But yet, they were deeply conservative in their worldview. The shift towards Republicans was gradual, but started back in the 60's and was in response the the huge leftward shift of the Democrat party. It was just no longer the party of FDR, and my grandparents, along with many other traditional democrats became Nixon and Reagan supporters in their later years.

Last edited by Venkman; 03-02-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote