View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, I stand by my assertion that ETB pushed Mormons to the right. With his tirades from the pulpit, including in General Conference, where he equated the Civil Rights movement with Communism, etc.
He did not do that as President of the LDS Church. And I knew many very conservative Mormons who in fact disapproved of his tirades and were induced by them to reflect on their conservatism. My parents were among them. I remember once my mother said to my father, "What if he becomes the Prophet." My father replied, "We will bite the bullet." But when he took the mantle he wasn't that way anymore. Indeed, blacks could hold the priesthood, the civil rights fights were over in terms of civil unrest and high profile court battles, etc.

Mormons are conservative because they're from the sticks, they are heirs to Calvin's world view, and they are quite orthodox in their Christian/relgious faith.

Yes, Utah used to elect more democrats to higher office. Goatnapper explained why.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote