View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is sad, too. To win the TdF at such a young age and have everyone tell you that you are the next Indurain or Hinault and then to never get over the top again.

Personally, I am not so sure if the Opeeracion Puerto was the complete cause. Instead, I think he lost his stomach for racing. He seemed less and less engaged the last few years and the hassles of testing and dealing with corporate sponsors and staying in shape (and really, all except a very few of us, not including me, has ever been in as good a shape as Ullrich was in bad shape; fat is relative in the cycling world) seemed to get him down. Plus, the last few years of the Tour LA was clearly in his head. Ullrich seemed to practically accept being number two, in which there is no shame, but it robbed him of his potential and he probably had a hard time with that (I realize I am invading MW territory here, but so what?).

Blue, I am also sad that you are convinced the whole lot of them are cheaters. I guess its best that they all cheat than if just some cheat, but I am just not sure if I want to believe it.