View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #13
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amen on the DOM recommendation.

I bought it yesterday at the U of U bookstore (I didn't know about the Cougarguard sponsor thing until just now) yesterday and am halfway through the thing. The discussions concerning free agency, blacks and the priesthood and other issues have been fascinating.

It's funny that the first religion thread I reviewed on this Board concerned the Church's 1982 statement on oral sex (thanks Archaea), which dovetails well with the Blacks and the Priesthood discussion in the DOM book. Note that the 1982 statement refers to the oral sex stance as "the First Presidency's interpretation." They were very careful not to state it was doctrine or a direct revelation from the Lord; a good thing, since the statement died a quick death with little fanfare within weeks after it was released. It was read to me as part of the temple recommend interview (which I passed while performing a lawyerlike interpretation in my head).

Similarly, DOM and others were very careful never to refer to the Blacks/Priesthood prohibition as "doctrine" or the will of the Lord. Rather, he cited it as Church policy that could be changed in the future. Unfortunately, it took longer than I would have liked.

Anyway, read the book. It's the best Church history book I've read in at least a decade.

And I suppose I should be embarrassed that my first post on this site concerns cunnilingus and fellatio. Thanks again, Archaea.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote