View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Another thing that has come out so far is that Ezra Taft Benson, in his earlier years at least, comes across as a nut. He seems to be extremely political and makes snipe look liberal.

I guess the spiritually significant part of this is how much ETB changed when he was the prophet. i.e. the mantle changed him (or at least changed his message).
Mike have you already reached the chapter on confrontation with communism? I cannot believe that is the same ETB that served as our prophet. He had incredible influence with McKay regarding his "fight" against communism and his work with the John Birch Society. This appears to have bothered many of the Q12. Agree that the mantle changed him. I had no idea how political ETB had been in those days.

Probably the most outrageous thing mentioned about him was his endorsement of Welch's (John Birch society founder) comment that Eisenhower was part of a communist plot, planted in the presidency to bring communism to the U.S.. I say endorsement because when he was given an opportunity to clarify his position on that particular comment he dodged the question. Apparently Eisenhower went to the grave wondering why Benson had turned on him.

Also, Benson asked for permission to run as a VP candidate for a 3rd party with none other than George Wallace. Thank goodness McKay put a stop to that one.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying this look at the inner workings of the Q12 and first presidency during those times. One person I've really begun to appreciate and love while reading this book is Hugh B. Brown. You'll begin to see why in chapter 4.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote