View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #34
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
in the 7th round by a Japanese basketball team, or something equivalent, so I think you overate him a bit. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent basketball player but he was more a product of Majerus's system than anything else.

Utah played great defense because Majerus was a fantastic teacher of defense, and a master strategist. Majerus could gameplan to make teams do what the were bad at. This made the sum greater than the parts and made average players look better than they really were (see Jensen). All Majerus's teams played great defense, before and after Jensen.

Jensen was a very good on the ball defender, and he was a tirelss worker off the ball denying the opposing teams star from every getting the ball. He was great at using his body to minimize his athletic deficiencies. I give him all the credit for this. The problem is, Cummard is a great defender too, though you don't seem willing to recognize that, and it makes me wonder if you've even watched a BYU game.

You also seem to be stuck on comparing Jensen's junior and senior achievements to Cummard's sophomore season, which really makes no sense at all to a sane person.

Take Andre Miller or Michael Doleac off that team and nobody would have ever heard of Alex Jensen. Role players are only as good as the stars they support, and that's all Jensen was.
Everything I have heard about Cummard makes me think he will be a very good player. I respect goatnapper's basketball opinion above every other BYU fan, and he thinks very highly of him. Based on everything that has been said about Cummard, I would take him over every single player the Utes have including Luke Nevill. Of course at Utah Cummard would not get more than 10-15 minutes of PT a game. He would deserve 30, but since his greatest attributes are defense Giacoletti wouldn't play him.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote