View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top shot blocker per MWC team

I've been thinking as to the question of whether Trent could play defense in the NBA. I was just curious as to how he ranked in shot-blocking in the MWC. I don't think 1.3 bpg is in the top 100 in the country.

After the game against TCU, I think an overlooked factor in Plaisted's fouls is how his man gets the ball very close to the basket. You are much more likely to end up fouling when your guy has the ball close, and is going to shoot. If the guy is further out, he passes out, double-teaming is easier, and more difficult shots are attempted that require less defensive risk-taking.

If I am Rose, I really challenge Plaisted to make the next quantum leap forward. Or two quantum leaps. I make sure that he gets A LOT stronger in the lower body. I also challenge him to get some adequate coaching for the 5 position (I think him at the 4 is not even worthy of comment. He has close to zero game facing the basket and has no range). And I challenge him to play somewhere over the summer where he is facing people that are better than him, that he can't outathlete.

In Plaisted we have a good athlete (not an incredible one) who is still very raw and needs a lot more development of basketball IQ (court vision, passing out of the double team).

It will be a severe disappointment if Plaisted doesn't end up better than Hafa, and I am worried about his trajectory of improvement.

Alvarado Parker (TCU) 2.3 6'8" Forward
Jason Smith (CSU) 1.7 7'0" forward
Gaston Essengue (UNLV) 1.6 6'8" Forward
Joseph Taylor (Wyo) 1.5 6'8" Forward
Jerome Habel (SDSU) 1.4 6'10" forward
Trent Plaisted 1.3 (BYU) 6'11" center
Luke Nevill (Utah) 1.0 7'1" Center
Daniel Faris (NM) 0.8 6'9" Forward
John Frye (AF) 0.5 6'10" Center
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote