View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I wonder if part of the improvement is similar to the old adage of not having two quarterbacks. I have never felt that BYU ran a significantly different style with Ainge versus Rashaun, but perhaps it is helping familiarity and that is making the offense more effective with one pg playing 35 minutes verus two playing 20. I don't know, but I do know that Ainge's performance will have a big impact on how BYU finishes. So far he is playing better than I thought he would. Tuesday nite and SDSU will be big challenges for Ainge.

I am not so upset about the screwing over seeds, BYU shot itself and had nobody to blame but itself both times. I really think that if BYU finishes this year with only three more losses at most they should get higher than a 12 and winning is more likely. To be really safe, only two more losses is what I would like to see. Lose to SDSU in San Diego and then lose to UNLV in the conference final.
On the seeding: part of me thinks you're right just because we've been beaten up so bad on seeds in the past. But there is no logical reason for it. Other teams tank at the end of the season and get better seeds. Other teams have few quality wins and get better seeds. Other teams are non conf champ teams from poor conferences and get better seeds. There seems to be no correlation as to why we've gotten screwed. Maybe it has to do with the Sunday play issue.

NCAA has 31 conf champions and 34 at large. Of the conf champions, usually at least 11 are ranked ahead of the worst at large. That makes #45 the cut off for bubble teams. Also, it makes the worst at large team a 12 seed. To say that the best seed BYU could get in a certain scenario is a 12 seed is a very pessimistic view--especially when the RPI's will be in the 30's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote