View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #41
Iluvatar

Iluvatar

SteelBlue,

With all due respect, you're wrong....

Joseph didn't always approach the family first (infact, he very rarely did), he married several of the women without the knowledge or consent of their husbands (In some cases while the husbands were serving missions for the church). moreover, he married them without Emma's consent or knowledge.

Really, my only problem with polygamy, and especially this particular form of polyandry, is the dishonesty associated with all of it! Joseph and his initiates lied to their spouses, decieved the spouses of those women they took, and lied to the church at large for better than thirty years. If I can't trust the prophet to tell the truth to his spouse, or to the body of the church about somethng as important as polygamy... it all kind of dissolves for me.

This whole thing has almost made me hope that there is no afterlife...if the celestial kingdom is some strange combination of poygamy/polyandry, blood atonement, the law of consecration, etc., I'm not at all certain I want to be there! Not if my wife is fair game for any brother with a higher preisthood calling than myself.

It all makes me very sad...I guess.