View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's why if you are going to argue, in polite company, that alcoholism is not a disease, you had better bring your A game.

Because it's a difficult sell. And you've suddenly, whether you want to or not, aligned yourself with the Johnnlingo's who think it's not a disease for perhaps different reasons. And people that are selling books saying the same thing.
Is it possible that what is the disease is some psychic malady like depression, and alcoholism is secondary, a form of self-medication?

You shrinks are the experts but it seems to me that's the root of it and may be the best response to self-righteous FMCoug/Lingo types.

I can say I'm a social drinker and have never felt drawn to overdo it or drink compulsively. (It helps to be a workaholic.) I reach a point of diminishing returns very quickly after a second drink. Usually one is is best. I do think that those who do drink compulsively have a form of disease but what breeds ignorance may be calling drinking the disease rather than identifying some more deep seated illness.

As I'm sure Waters will attest, depression is a real disease.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-30-2007 at 08:22 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote