View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #38
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar
Fuegote,

God did not ask Abraham to break any vows, oaths, promises or covenants when he asked him to sacrifice Isaac. Joseph Smith did precisely that. All these women had previously promised faith to their husbands.

The two scenarios are apples and oranges.

You would really submit to having some old geezer bang your wife while you still supported and loved her? You are out of your ever lovin' mind!
Iluvatar, as you know it is very difficult to "defend" what Joseph and Brigham did re: Polyandry. You either believe they were commanded to do it or you believe that they were perverting the ways of the Lord. I believe that they were commanded to do it.

In each case, Joseph approached the family first. In each case he asked the family and the women to find out for themselves if it was what God had commanded. In each case the women willingly married him, usually describing in their journals that they had some amazing witness of the truth of the principle after initially being horrified.

The bottom line is that Joseph believed he was commanded to take these wives. He also believed that his marriages superceded the earthly marriages of these women. Either he was a prophet and was correct or he wasn't and he lied about it to get these women. I have to go by what his teachings and revelations have meant to myself and my family for generations. I have to go by his "fruits". I choose to believe that he lived and died a prophet.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote