View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Hold on there. It depends on who you are. If you are a work a day schlub like me, then 35 hour work week (soon to be a thing of the past) with five weeks vacation, and maternity leave sound pretty good. I'd put up with a lot to have that type of schedule.
How about 10 percent overall unemployment; 25 percent for those under 25 years of age; and even worse for minorities? This works great for the 85 percent of the population that manages to get a job, but what about the rest? Jobs aren't being created because firms opt not to come here or entrepreneurs opt to start up elsewhere. I know plenty of people, especially young people, that bounce from one temp job to the other, or have resigned themselves to unemployment. A total loss of productivity and efficiency. This eventually takes its toll on a nation.

The 35-hour work week will become a thing of the past only if employers are willing to compenesate their workers for those 4 extra hours a week. Currently employers must give workers 8 more vacation days a year to make up for those 4 extra hours (for a total of 6 1/2 weeks of paid vacation per year).

For the most part, employers will stick with the 35-hour work week.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote