View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:09 AM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood Atonement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar
Blood atonement was nothing more, and nothing less than a tool for Brigham Young to keep his flock in fear (fear of god, and fear of Brigham himself).

Blood atonement, as taught by Brigham and his compatriots, was the driving force behind the numerous massacres that occurred during Utah's "bloody period".

The more one studies the early days of the church, the more one realizes that we do not belong to the same organization that Joseph, Brigham, and the rest of their lot founded. I would not have belonged to that church!

All-American,

There are documented cases of bishops and stake presidents taking mens' lives(and other things) in ritualized acts of blood atonement.

FWIW
I would not be shocked to learn that what you are saying is true, but having poked around this issue quite a bit a few years ago, my sense is that you have taken a very hotly contested topic and resolved all the abiguities and drawn all the inferences in the same direction. I don't think the opinion you are offering is quite as "factual" as it sounds upon presentation.