View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post

2. This is not a tough question, since you can argue that JS knew the KJV inside and out, and that knowledge conditioned his use of biblical passages in the BOM. I personally am not satisfied with this answer, but it is the one given by most FARMS scholars, for example. For me the bigger issue is the biblical texts included in the BOM. For example 2nd Isaiah, not written until well after the exile is included in the BOM, before it had even been written yet. Yes, I know, many say that the 2nd Isaiah dating is controversial....well, it's not controversial to mainstream scholars. If you read it, it presumes a post-exilic historical context, as much as LDS scholars try to say it is *prophesying* about the exile. It just doesn't fly.
I do not wish to contend with a scholar or pretend that I am in any way capable of extensive discourse on this subject but I find you commentary insufficient.

I understand the issue of ‘dating’ and why the explanation of ‘prophesying’ with regards to Isaiah passages doesn’t fly. Yet the Book of Mormon is of course an extensive ‘abridgment’ and does not claim to be anything more than that.

Perhaps It doesn’t fly because it is somewhat out of context … not unlike your two paragraphs that certainly represent many years of study and hard work, yet as I read them are insufficient.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote