View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that his memo was used to the advantage of people intending to do bad things.

When Bybee sat down and decided that any torture that did not kill or cause permanent organ failure was permissible and legal, I have a hard time believing he was sitting there full of the Holy Ghost.

We have moral responsibilities beyond the technocalities we encounter.

It wasn't devils who committed the holocaust. It was bureaucrats.

This goes way beyond a "grudge", this goes to the heart of the question of what this nation is about. As manifested by recent political debates in Washington.

I know people make mistakes. But there is no indication that Bybee thinks he made a mistake. Even worse, he is in an influential position on a powerful court. If he were just sitting at home eating Doritos, I would be less inclined to say something. But he is still in the public arena, and as such it is the duty of citizens to influence the future. I may be delusional to think my opinions make any difference, but that is not going to stop me from calling Bybee out on the carpet.

Remember, at least morally, the church does not agree with Bybee (perhaps Bybee does not agree with degrading treatment and torture either, who knows).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote