Thread: UFC vs Pride
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #38
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing Liddell is a light heavy weight, and if it is so easy for boxers to step in to UFC and win, then why dont more do it? the purses in UFC are becoming increasingly larger, the ORtiz Liddell fight had more pay per view buys than the last 3 heavy weight title fights combined. The way you make it sound a mediocre boxer could come in and dominate, why arent more journey men joining UFC then?

and to put this to rest. Jens Pulver has boxed professionally and is a UFC icon, he was just on ESPNs tuesday night fights not to long ago and here is what he said.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=1833

MMA vs Boxing
So, Jens, which sport is tougher -- MMA or boxing?

"MMA," he answered emphatically, "there's so much more to worry about. So many more weapons are being thrown at you that it's without a doubt the tougher sport as far as the elements that can end a fight. Whereas boxing it's just hands. If somebody's got better hands maybe they can get them through and knock you out. But in MMA, man, I can knock you out with my knees; I can knock you out with my kicks, my elbows. I can plum you up. You can't just get away with just punching. I can take you down, submit you. I can choke you. There's just too many more factors that can end a fight in MMA. It's like playing chess with a regular person then playing chess against a pro. That's what MMA is. There are so many more elements, you know. You have to train for everything and that's what makes it harder.