View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
What is curing salt and where do get it? Can I just use coarse kosher salt?

I usually brine the turkey, but I wasn't in charge of it this year. I did buy our own turkey that I want to smoke tomorrow.
I like to use Morton Tender Quick Salt:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...enderquick.htm

Don't use table salt. This is much different. Specially formulated for curing meat. We buy it at Albertson's, but not all grocers carry it. You may want to call around first.

I pour some in a bowl and then just spoon it over the bird and rub it around until it is evenly applied. As for how much to use, you just learn by experience. But it is tough to get too much on. Just apply liberally over the entire bird. For a turkey, it doesn't hurt to put some on the inside of the bird. The salt will naturally penetrate the meat over time.

We normally do chickens this way. We put the salt on the night before and let them cure overnight in the fridge and then smoke them for 5-6 hours. They taste wonderful. We generally do 2-3 at a time and then use the leftover smoked chicken in salads, quesadillas, etc.