View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

The one with the cannons is 1812. You'd probably also like Marche Slave.

The Frenchman might be Saint-Saens..

Incidentally, even "serious" music academicians recognize the genius of John Lennon. Most university schools of music even offer courses on his compositions now...

As far as how to acquire the background/academic knowledge. I have no idea, most of us just suffered at our parents' insistence that we learn something musical, and now we get to pretend like we know what we're talking about...

Personally, I spend about 90% of my time listening to classic rock. But I will always love classical music and wish that I had the talent/discipline to be performing with a symphony somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
As a music idiot, knowing nothing more than Zepplin, BTO, CCR, Beattles and a few others, are these composers considered much by you afficianados?

I like Mozart, even though to an outsider his music appears cluttered.

I like Tchaikowsky, the one with the cannons.

Debussy seems cool, but I have no idea why.

Brahms is nice and Bach is very German.

Handel? Christmas time seems to be a must.

There were some Frenchmen, but I purposefully forgot the names. There, unless Van Halen counts, I've exhausted the lexicography of my virtually unlimited knowledge of classical music.

Although, if somebody explained classical music to me in an intellectual format, together with the progressions and their reason for being, it is difficult for me to become interested in it, unless I'm sitting in Paris or Vienna.

How does one acquire the requisite knowledge of the musical objectives of classical music in short order?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote