View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer View Post
Mozart's great.

Nobody's going to try to argue with you about his genius, his compositions, or his body of work as a whole.

And obviously, technical fluff does not apply to all his work, as you delineated.

I don't know if you ever played any instruments, but FarrahWaters and I were (I think) speaking from experience as students...

For me, I would get to these passages and there are so many notes, arpeggios, embellishments, that it felt like it was detracting from the piece, the melody, the phrasing.

Sometimes I wonder if, similar to what you said, he was bored and sort of playing jokes on the rest of us...just to keep himself interested.

Oh sure, now you throw my lack of real keyboard skills in my face. Just joking.

I play a little keyboards but I could never manage anyhting by Mozart. My son, however, is a reasonably talented pianist and has studied numerous pieces by Mozart and CHopin and Rachmaninoff, etc. I rarely tired of hearing Mozart while he was working on them, but sometimes Rachmaninoff got a little tedious, to be honest.

I don't think he was playing jokes on us, I think he was keeping himself happy; we were incidental. I have noticed that most kids, especially boys, that study the paino somewhat seriously love to play the fast stuff. The faster the better. It is a form of youthful exuberance. I think Mozart may have been like that. His music fairly screams youthful exuberance. I will certainly not tell you your opinion is incorrect, but only that I don't share it with respect to the large majority of Mozart's music.