View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with many of the things that you have said. Especially about not being burdened with another generation's debt. I am for low taxes, sensibly spent, free markets, and low (not no) capital gains. I am a democrat.

I also agree that the Dems are not fiscally responsible. I would however say that moderate democrats are fiscally responsible. The statistics I have seen and that I am too lazy to look up say that spending growth is slowed when they are in power. That is good enough for me. Of course, the one variable that neither of us have talked about is the people and specifically the geezers that outvote everybody else. They are the real drivers of Medicare (which is a complete boondoggle) drug benefit and the massive entitlements. I know that you are pissed about taxes and blaming the Democrats, but you should be cussing at the "greatest generation" and the boomers which will be the generations that severely drive down the standard of living for future generations of people like me. I dare say that we are either going to see the death or sever maiming of entitlement programs or massive tax increases when I am your age. Most politicians that would like to do something about it are not acting in their own self interest.

This is what I am getting at when I say that short term goals, such as the ill advised in timing and scope, tax cuts. We simply could not afford them and keep the status quo for governmental programs. I was in favor of a more modest tax cut and some fiscal discipline and some retirement of debt. Oh, well.

Lastly, it is pretty hard to compare us to Monaco, Hong KOng, Costa Rica, or Singapore. They are on such a small scale that they do not have to provide expensive things like an army, etc. Still, maybe we could learn a few things.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote